Two Authors... One Site... All Things Fantasy

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blue Moon and Dune


Blue Moon

To be sure, I am behind the curve when when it comes to knowing good beer. So you will have to bare with me when I discover what’s already a well known fact. Blue Moon is good beer. If any of you haven’t yet had a chance to try it then you are missing out. I am a fan of blondes both the ladies and the beers. I like brunettes and redheads too, when it comes to women I’m not really picky. As for the beer though I only really like it when it’s light in color and easy on the palate. That’s exactly what Blue Moon is, and lately I have been having a hankering for it. Something about the smooth flavor with a slice of orange squeezed over the top is perfect on a hot summer day. This is a reasonably priced beer and you won’t look like either a snob or a dunce when you order one (something I’m in sore need of). All the varieties are great but the old standard Belgium White is what I usually order.


Dune

What is there to say about this masterpiece, that hasn’t already been said? This is hands down the greatest work of science fiction written in the english language (I don’t read russian or chinese, so who knows if they have better? I doubt it though). If you have seen the movie directed by David Lynch, before reading the book, don’t be put off. Personally I liked the movie, but to most it’s an incomprehensible mess. It only really rings true if you have read the book. Even then Lynch made a strange movie that’s not quite in sync with the book.

The story: young Paul Atreides is the ducal heir. His father and whole household has moved to Arrakis... Dune, desert planet. There Paul encounters the geriatric spice, or melange. The spice is the most prized resource in the universe. Used by powerful factions both to expand their minds and chart safe courses through space. There are many powerful factions fighting for control of Dune and the spice. Soon though they will come to loggerheads with Paul and the mysterious Fremen.  I won’t say more as I have no desire to ruin this book for anyone. I will say this though, If you haven’t yet read Dune you are missing out.

I feel like I should have more to say about Dune. All that really needs to be said is this: READ IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment