Two Authors... One Site... All Things Fantasy

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Walking Drum and Barrel Trolley Belgium White


Barrel Trolley & The Walking Drum



I just started a new book tonight which I will probably have a review of by the end of the week. That being the case I thought I’d crack a pint of the good stuff and stroll down memory lane for a review. First the beer then the book.

 

Tonight I popped the top on a Belgium White from Barrel Trolley.

I was a little disappointed by the pour right off the bat. It lacked effervescence . So I poured another just to see if it was me. Better but not great. White head with a very nice unfiltered murkiness, think gold dragon piss! I’m a big fan of unfiltered beer so dragon piss is a plus. The beer had a slight citrus taste to it and a mild hint of spice. I would have liked a heavier dose of spice and hops, but it still tasted better than a lot of beers I’ve had the pleasure of quaffing. The finish dropped off pretty hard and was about as interesting as a political debate… by that I mean not very. Overall I wouldn’t tell people to avoid the beer nor would I send an email chain out telling people that they have to try it and forward this email to three friends or suffer the curse of the hag covey. You certainly could do worse, but it isn’t going to generate a ringing endorsement from me either.

Great, now onto the book review. A slightly above average book review to go with the slightly above average beer? I’ll do better than that for you. My buddy Brondan O’Connar gave me The Walking Drum, by Louis L’Amour for my birthday last year. Brendin gives really good gifts so be sure to friend him on facebook and tell him when your birthday is!

The Walking Drum is 1984’s version of an action flick novel. Kerbouchard (what an amazing name) goes on an epic journey of non stop adventure. There is no need for L’Amour to waste time pontificating on social idiocies, instead he takes you through 12th century Europe and the Middle east. The journey gives you an insight into the 12th century as well as an amazing tale. I wish the story of Kerbouchard was finished. Sadly Louis L’Amour died four years after the novel was published. Despite the lack of sequels the novel is fantastic.

Do yourself a favor, grab a pint of the good stuff and crack a copy of The Walking Drum. You’ll be glad you did.



Buy the book here: The Walking Drum
Wiki Site: The Walking Drum Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment